Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Pumpkin Doughnuts

Because we are unable to make our regular trip to Greenbluff this year, we've been having a serious hankering for some Apple Cider and Pumpkin doughnuts. I bought some Archer Farms Pumpkin pancake and waffle mix on impulse that maybe I could figure out how to make doughnuts out of them.

Halloween is past so I decided it was past time to break out the dough. Missionaries were supposed to come eat them, but the cancelled on us again so, instead, they went to our SCA friends. Lucky people. Sorry, I've got no pictures of the steps, my camera had a dead battery. But here it goes.

Pumpkin Doughnuts

2 cups Archer Farms pumpkin pancake mix + some extra for dusting counter
abt 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 egg

Mix until combined. Dough will not be smooth and elastic. Dough will be fairly wet and sticky. Heat crisco (or other desired frying oil substance) in skillet to 365 degrees (I used my 11in electric skillet. You should know, I had to use 3/4 large can crisco. At least it's good for something). Oil should fill up skillet about 2/3 of the way.
Dust extra pancake mix on the counter (or on wax paper on the counter for easier cleanup. I did not remember this). Scoop 1/4 cup-fuls onto counter at a time. Coat outside, both sides, with pancake mix for easier handling. In fact, remember that your extra pancake mix is the key to moving/shaping these. Roughly shape dough into an oval. Gently press hole into center. Use a spatula to pick up the doughnut and lower into oil. Cook up to 1 minute on each side. Remove from crisco. Drain. Coat with cinnamon sugar.

These were so good!

For more fun Archer Farms also makes the following pancake mixes:
Caramel Apple
Gingerbread
Banana Chocolate Chip
Chocolate Raspberry
Apple Streusel
I am going to be making SO MANY doughnuts this holiday season!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh so sad ... I forgot about Greenbluff. I loved their apples sundaes. Wow fun times in Eastern Washington. Thanks for the reminder, now I am going to have to go find some honey crip apples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish you lived next door. i would be spending lots of time at your house :)

    ReplyDelete