Friday, December 31, 2010

Family Home Evening Take One

So the other day I was perusing a friends blog, when I came to the realization that we haven't been doing our best with spending time to teach Miriam about God.  
She knows lots of church songs, from the CD a friend of mine gave her.  And music is totally the way to that girls heart.  You want her to learn/do/try something - make up some music to it.  I got to wash her hair the other day with NO WHINING WHATSOEVER by doing that very thing.  But anyway...
I was catching up on a friends blog and she posted about some art her preschooler did in which the teachers had asked each child "I am special because..." and he had answered "God made me."  (awww. right?  And you know who you are now too, doncha?) And I thought to myself - "Yeap you are letting this golden opportunity pass you by."
We had discussed having family home evening's before.  In fact, we set a goal about three months ago to have family home evening.  It got challenging because my schedule is a little interesting with WW in the evening and really, we've just never been very good at it.  So this week we decided to have Family Home Evening on Thursday.  
Earlier in the week, Bill and I decided to use the Nursery Manual.
We started with Lesson One, I am a Child of God.  We said a prayer, sang I am a Child of God a few times.  We looked at pictures of our family members and talked about how we are children of God.  We were going to stick them on a paper that said I am a child of God, but Miriam really didn't want to do that.  She wanted to hold the pictures of Grandma and Grandpa.  It was very cute.  Then we colored a picture.  That's it - the end.  Keeping a 3 year old engaged = not easy.  But we did one.  Now we just have to keep going.
Come by here on Thursdays and you better be prepared to spend half an hour talking (learning, singing, dancing, coloring) about God.

No comments:

Post a Comment