This year (although I didn't put it in my "looking forward to 2010" post) I wanted to run 2-3 5K's. Those of you that have been keeping up for a long time know that I started running them in 2009. Pretty much on a whim. I hated running as a teenager, particularly in conjunction with gymnastics conditioning. So deciding to run in 2009 was kinda crazy.
After I finished my first one, I felt a number of things. The first was sick! My bowls were gurgly (all day) and while cooling down I kept wondering if I was going to have to make a run for the bathroom. The bathroom I wasn't sure existed at that location. The second thing I felt was awesome! (Can you feel these things simultaneously?) I felt like this amzing healthy person. Also, I was hungry all day.
I have to say I haven't felt these things in quite the same way on any of my other runs. My bowls no longer freak out. I don't get hungry all day (I do get hungry an hour later). I still feel really good about what I've done - but nothing to quite compare to that first run.
The other day I ran with a co-worker at the gym (my co-worker who happens to be training for a marthon) and I ran for 50 minutes, intervals, since we both have bum knees. I'm quite sure this is the most I've run ever, in my entire life. And I've kicked around the idea of running farther.
You see, these 5K's I did this fall, they were supposed to be my last runs. Training for my first 5K of the year, supporting Dan Berschinski, my left knee starting having issues. I took a summer break from running. Until (again on a whim) I decided to do a 5K called the Goblin Gallop (really a 6K) and interval run. My knee does better, but still has issues occasionally. On Thanksgiving Day I ran the second annual Huffin for Stuffin. Earlier this month, I ran one called the Jingle Jog with Bill and Miriam.
That was supposed to be it right?
Then we ran for 50 minutes at the gym.
So, now I'm not quite sure what my plan is. My doctor said, physical ailments are pretty much the way of life as a runner. Or as an athelete for that matter. I've been thinking about my years as a gymnast recently. I pulled back muscles every year. And I can't tell you how many afternoons I sat in an ice water whirlpool with the 3-4 of us that suffered from shin splints.
Anyway, I'm undecided. But I met my goal! I'm pretty happy with that.
What would you do? Preserve your physical ability by moving on to something new? Or push forward (in a smart controlled way) while you still can?
No comments:
Post a Comment