Friday, October 30, 2009

Potty Training?

Just a quick update on this. After our last paycheck (when we bought a box of diapers from Costco) I have to say I'm a bit lazier (see, before I was trying to make that last package of diapers last 2 weeks). I AM almost done unpacking the house though.
But we haven't given it up. Miriam wants to sit on the potty almost every time we take off her diaper. She never uses it, but she likes to sit there. She gets an M&M for sitting there (which I am not sure was the best idea). She plays with some of her bath toys. I try to remind her what a potty is for.

Basically, sitting on the potty goes something like this:
Climbs up step stool and sits down.
Turns around and points at jar of M&M's
Gets one M&M
Mommy says "If you use the potty to pee-pee you can have another" if she asks for more.
While chewing delectable chocolate, points at desired bath toy ("Duck!" or bag of letters)
Plays with duck or takes as many letter and numbers out of the bag as possible, telling me what they are and handing them over.

SO...I guess she's learning her letters and numbers and having a rather positive experience at least. I'm a little concerned about her understanding of what a potty is for though.
I'm considering trading M&M's for a sticker chart and re-thinking the "naked or underwear" question (while trying to relinquish my hold on maintaining my new carpet) as well as instilling an understanding that a potty is for, well, POTTY STUFF.

4 comments:

  1. Okay so this evening, Miriam went pee-pee in the potty. I was there, but daddy was running the show this time. He squirted a bath toy to make it go "potty" which we'd talked about doing earlier. Since we don't have a doll that goes potty, I figured a bath toy might work. Then she tried to make the bath toy go "potty" then she went potty! Whoo hoo! Okay some motivation to work harder now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So maybe we won't ditch the M&M's until we run out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally feel you about the carpets...there is a great product called pets and kids that takes out pee and the pee smell. It is awesome stuff. I totally encourage you to invest in it. Maybe then there won't be as much pressure about the no underwear/underwear thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am gonna have to get some of that pets and kids stuff. That sounds like a good thing to have on hand for those inevitable accidents! Good luck Maggie!! Baby steps!

    ReplyDelete