Friday, November 30, 2007

Prepared Childbirth

Post from October 3rd 2007 -
So tomorrow I miss my prepared childbirth class for the 3rd time (did I mention it's the final class). I laugh at the lady who told me back in August I should probably start the class at the end of September with a November due date. It just goes to show you, there are some things about which your own judgement is best.
While I knew that I had some family history going against me (my mother and I were both premature) there were never explanations for the prematurity so I have just planned on carrying to term. (I say that although I've been ready to have our nursery set up since I got home from Seattle September 1st. Baby shower, shopping, come on everybody let's get with the program!! I mean - thank you to all of my wonderful family who have been so generously contributing to making our home comfortable for our new baby)
The night of my third childbirth class I found myself on Dr.'s orders to put my feet up at home because of some cramping I'd had that day and to come into the office the next day. That night went well (things didn't get worse) and I felt pretty good the next day, but still noticed a few contractions. Getting checked at the Dr.'s office found me 30% effaced and 2-3 cm dialated and admitted to the hospital at 32 wks 6 days. By the time we got there and monitored for a while, yes I was having some regular contractions - 'diagnosed' with premature labor, put on some drugs and stuck in bed. That was where we spent the weekend. I had steroid shots to help baby's lungs mature (I'd heard about these and was preparing myself for this to be really bad. Since I was all hyped up I remember thinking - okay that could have been worse. Not that it was fun. Probably better than Bill's anthrax. Certainly looked better afterwards.).
We all made it through the weekend. Got the contractions stopped, baby seemed to be doing okay and I went home on Monday last. I am on bedrest and an oral medication that I take every 6 hours (have to have alarms at 12 and 6 am for that). This morning though I was having some discomfort after taking the medication at 6 and couldn't go back to sleep. So I thought I would share. What did I get out of prepared childbirth class? Some breathing and relaxing exercises, a birth video, a book AND a reminder to be flexible with your 'plans' when it comes to pregnancy and delievery because you never know what is coming for you. I imagine that is good preparation for parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment