This is actually an excerpt from "Miriam's journal" which I began at the end of Bills last deployment. This time has been sorely lacking for journal entries but I am trying to take it up again. A much different entry then usually goes into the journal. It's usually much more milestone related - or - wasn't this thing she said funny? Anyway...
Last Sunday, I gave Miriam a Book of Mormon as we left church. She had been asking me to sing a song called Search, Ponder and Pray over and over and over again. It says “The Spirit will guide, and deep inside, I’ll know the scriptures are true.” So I handed her what I had and told her those were scriptures. She has looked at them a couple times, however, it is a book with no pictures and we don’t read yet! We put them on her headboard. Tonight we were getting her ready for bed. We read two fun stories and said a prayer. I decided to open them up and read a few verses. We read Mosiah 4:7-9. Verse 9 says “Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend.” I had her repeat “Believe in God.” Then we talked about how God takes care of us.
So I’ve been thinking about this. I bet my 3 year old can handle 3 verses out of a book of scripture each night. Sometimes, trying to get her to unplug is difficult. Yes, my 3 year old. I mean, we just spent a week sick in our beds (and on our couch). So she wants to watch Blues Clues and play Hello Kitty Birthday Party on my DS. I have to have us do other things. But how did I not think of this before? One verse for every year of her life! That’s going into the bedtime routine.
Day 2: Last night I worked and she was in bed when I got home. So tonight was day 2 of the scripture reading. We actually opened up to a picture in the front this time, so I asked her what the picture was and then I went a found a couple verses about it. I was even able to come up with another verse of a song to sing after we talked about it. I LOVE this!
No comments:
Post a Comment