
On Sunday, January 27th 2008, Gordon Bitner Hinckley, Prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, passed away. He was 97 years old. President Hinckley has been the president of the LDS church since 1995 and for many of my friends, he was "their" prophet. The prophet of our youth. I saw him speak in Spokane in 1999 when he came to dedicate the Spokane temple and held a youth fireside that filled up the Spokane arena. I'm not sure what I expected a prophet was at that time but I remember telling my friend Heidi, "well he's a man." I'll never forget the letter I recieved in return, bearing her testimony and thankfullness that though he was "just a man" the Lord had called him to lead the Church in humility and truth.
In the last eight years I have come to appreciate the humor, strength and love of people exibited by this man, not to mention his dedication to the work of God.
A biography for President Hinckley can be found here.
For more information on succession in the LDS Church go here.
No comments:
Post a Comment